Friday, May 18, 2007

SAS book reviews

sticking on a SAS theme I will review a couple of books on the SAS.
1st is The Elite the story of the Rhodeisan SAS by Barbra Cole. I am only halfway through it but it is a gem. coming in at 431 pages it's a great overview of the actions of the SAS through the whole war. If the SAS were involved its probably here. However, some of the missions are not described in as much detail as I would like. This is a quibble though, it consistently well written and I find myself reading it in small amounts so I don't read it too quick and miss something. always a good sign for a book. It is however expensive at around $50.oo so shop around.
5 out of 5 stars

On a litle cheaper note. is the complete encyclopedia of the SAS by Barry Davies. This book is written in dictionary fashion covering all aspects of the SAS. while primarily dealing with the British unit, there are numerous articles on the Rhodesians covering operations and principles in the regiment with about a paragraph per article, it is a good overview. It gives some good insights and I found my copy in the bargain section at barnes and noble for $5.00! 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: